• You are not logged in. | Login

Post a reply

September 3, 2009 7:24 am

Djoule
Amateur Tabber
France
Skeleton project : d'you want to take part of it ?

Hello everyone !

(Firstly : not sure if it's the appropriate section, as it's not really about a competition, but still it concerns competitors, so mods feel free to move this topic elsewhere if you think it's not its appropriate section  smiley-wink2 )

So, let's get to the point, sorry if it is a long post  smiley-biggrin .

In the endless quest of finding an original approach to composing, Rumpy and his skeleton made me spend a very challenging and inspiring time on music.
As I said in the official discussion topic, I first wanted to make an extended version of the competition song, in order to develop some parts that I  thought too short.

But, I came up with an other idea few weeks ago, not sure if it was good or not, and when I saw JR's comment on my song it made me want to realize this idea.

(You can skip the following explanations if you want, and go directly to the point of this topic  smiley-wink2  )
Explanations and motivations :
When I wrote my epic Great journey, I didn't really notice the technical side of this song, as when I wrote it I was concentrated on how to create a consistent epic piece, that could follow a story while being melodic and logical, not technical.
To me there were obvious things, as I started to write it with section 7, and I built this piece on two main chord progression (the one on section 7, and the one on the overture), that were repeated, transposed, inverted, modified, hidden, lots of times in the piece, same for the melody over the main chord progression (sect. 7).
But reading the comments on msb and here, I realized that things that were obvious for me as I'm the writer (and especially because I wrote the basic story/structure on paper before creating the music) were not obvious in fact for any listener.
With the passing of time, I'm now aware of what should be changed, improved and/or emphasized : my drum track is a bit too technical and unplayable at some points, some parts contain too many instruments/notes, the main melody of sect.7 is not enough obvious in other parts, etc....
Globally I'm still happy of the time I spent on this piece, so I don't want to rewrite it (still I'll have to rewrite some drum parts I think, I'll make lighter things), I have no regrets, but I still want to create something in which anyone could be interested, and in which things would be more obvious, especially because sometimes I read that the great journey sounds random, and it has really nothing random.
Well, almost : the only "random" thing in this piece is on the part "Lionnel, the elf with a lawn-mower", on the distortion guitar there are two bars of random rythm on my G power chord, the aim was to simulate the random noise when switching on a lawn-mower, then the rythm gets more regular, as the sound of a lawn-mower is.
So these are my motivations, creating something consistent, with more obvious things, and not getting lost into tons of melodies or technical things.

The Point :
so the point of this topic is that I'd like to write a more consistent epic stuff, that could be more melodic, in which I wouldn't have a real choice of the structure so that I couldn't get lost in too many various things.
To do so, I'd like to base my work on skeletons that some of you, members, would create.
Firstly because I'm looking for an original way of composing, secondly because Rumpy's skeleton was really inspiring and allowed me not to get lost in dozens of riffs/melodies that could have crossed my mind, and, last but not least, because I think it could be an original idea of a concept project.

The wandering lawn-mowing chipmunk would be the overture of this epic skeleton project, then, depending on the amount of skeletons I'll be sent, and if I find them inspiring, I would put together different skeletons, like a jigsaw, in an order depending on different tempo changes, number of instruments, etc...
So if you're interested in creating a skeleton for my project (and who knows, if someday I can record them, you may earn royalties lol), you can sent them to me by mail (zapetrucci @ hotmail . com ).
Put whatever idea you have in, you can base it on some of Rumpy's structures for odd stuff (or if you want the main riff to reappear), change the amount of instruments, change the type of instruments (I don't necesary need guitar parts on my music, I don't mind having an orchestral section for example like the one I wrote one section 5 of my epic journey), name parts, or whatever you want : just fix the rules and I'll stick to them as possible.
Then if it works I'll send it back on gprotab, and if not I'll work on an other skeleton.
I basically just want to make an original epic piece based on what is in your mind and what it inspires to me.  smiley-smile

So sorry for the long post, I sincerely hope some of you will have time to lose and will be interested in this project (you can send me several skeletons if you want, even you Rumpy !  smiley-biggrin ), and if not, well  I'll just try to develop Rumpy's skeleton and try to make a more consistent stuff than my former epic.
I don't know how much time it will take, I'm quite patient, it took me 11 months for the epic journey, but on the other side the fact that I'll have a skeleton will certainly make things faster and allow to focus on more essential things.

thanks for your patience
Julien

Last edited by Djoule (September 3, 2009 7:26 am)

September 26, 2009 6:47 pm

stuckinastrom
Amateur Tabber
New Zealand
Re: Skeleton project : d'you want to take part of it ?

I could give you some skeletons from some of my compositions if you want. I'd just remove all the notes but keep the tempo changes, time signature changes and structure. It'd be quite interesting to see what people could do with my songs.  smiley-wink2

September 26, 2009 8:11 pm

Djoule
Amateur Tabber
France

that's nice !
I was starting to think no one was interested...

you can send them to me by mail in gp4 or gp5.0  smiley-wink2

thanks !

Julien

PS: by the way, I noticed your flag, where are you from in New Zealand ?
I spent 3 months there 2 years ago, most in Auckland but still I visited north and south Islands, that's the most beautiful and amazing country I've ever seen  smiley-smile

October 2, 2009 1:08 am

stuckinastrom
Amateur Tabber
New Zealand

Im from the south island of New Zealand, in the city of Christchurch.

By the way, I'm new here so how do you send the tabs?

And what sort of thing do you want for the skeleton? How complex would you want it?

October 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Djoule
Amateur Tabber
France

Hi !

sorry for the late answer...
so regarding the complexity it's up to you, maybe take a look at my entry in the competition (which would be the overture of my skeleton project):

http://www.gprotab.net/comment_tab.php?tab_id=106093

As I'd like to write something consistent maybe that'd be useful if some bars could fit Rumpy's skeleton, but that could be totally different as well, same for tempo and instruments.
I'd just like to write an epic piece based on several skeletons, some parts could be totally independant from the overture.

you can download rumpy's skeleton to see an example :
http://www.gprotab.net/comment_tab.php?tab_id=106004

See ya !

PS : by the way, I remember a really good indian restaurant in Christchurch, when I went there this restaurant just opened a few weeks before (so around august 2007...), but I can't remember its name, we went there by night so I don't even know the name of the street, I just remember it was the best indian restaurant I've ever been in  smiley-biggrin

Last edited by Djoule (October 12, 2009 1:09 pm)

• Actions
  • Rules